[英文帖] 如果你觉得英文对你的求职很重要,不妨进来看看这些帖子,认真地读一下,都是和

回复
查看
[ 复制链接 ]

新浪微博达人勋

回复: [英文帖] 如果你觉得英文对你的求职很重要,不妨进来看看这些帖子,认真地读一下,

第一类 简历(Resumé Writing)

<题目>Writing a Cover Letter that "Sounds" Great

Job applicants need constantly to find ways to make their cover letters and resumes rise to the top of the big pile of possible candidates for interviews.

Articles abound in trade journals, in newspapers and on web sites-imploring us to limit the use of "I" and increase instances of "you"; instructing us to focus on accomplishments, not just job tasks or duties; and reminding us to "sell" ourselves by connecting our skill set with the needs of a specific company.

All excellent advice.

Yet so much of the advice focuses on what we should say rather than how we should say it. The words of a song may be memorable-evocative, creative, meaningful.

But if those lyrics are not embedded in rhythms and melodies that leave an impression, that stir the emotions, they may not be remembered.

The same can happen in writing. In ten years as a college and university writing instructor, I've had the chance to review quite a few resumes and cover letters. Most of them sound generic and mechanical. They're about as sensational as cream corn.

So the next time you compose a cover letter, don't just think about content. Think about how you can make that content sound better.

Creating a pleasing rhythm and sound can be achieved by careful use and placement of sentence patterns, ones we tend not to use regularly in our day-to-day writing.

Parallel Sentences

Using parallelism is one of the best ways to make a series of related accomplishments or qualifications flow well. You could write...

My experience includes programming in C++. I also have done programming in Java to create web applications. In addition, I am well versed in Visual Basic, which is currently in high demand for user interfaces.

But it would sound a lot better if you combined all of the detail in a series that flows rhythmically. If you decide to use parallel structure, make sure you choose action-oriented language to introduce each item in the list:

My experience includes programming applications in C++, creating web applications with JAVA, and designing effective user interfaces with Visual Basic.

If your phrases are quite ****, use semicolons to separate each item (see 2nd paragraph, 2nd sentence of this article).

The Periodic Sentence

If you want to grab your reader's attention, to leave them suspended for a moment to consider an important point, use the periodic sentence:

My ten years of experience, combined with a commitment to project implementation and community service, make me a uniquely qualified candidate for the position.

The key with this pattern is to break the sentence in half between the subject and the verb. The basic point of the sentence is "my ten years of experience make."

However, by separating "ten years of experience" and "make," you give yourself an opportunity to build some suspense and add an additional comment or two.

The Simple Sentence

Because there's a lot to say in a cover letter, we tend to avoid the power of simple sentences. After providing several ****er sentences of detail, punctuate what you've said with a very brief, simple sentence of three to five words.

Over the summer I had the opportunity to consult with a professional engineer who needed to improve his workplace communications skills.

By engaging in daily writing exercises and directed conversation, we realized measurable improvements in his ability to speak clearly and compose standard written English. This experience proved highly rewarding.

When you've got all of your cover letter material written down, don't stop there. Be a true composer: experiment with sentence patterns to create the rhythm and flow that will get your cover letter noticed.
2006-7-20 21:47:36

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>The resume – Making It Work For You

There are many different formats you can use to produce your resume:

• the chronological resume, in which a person’s experience is described from most to least recent and focuses on the progression of the person’s career;
  • the functional resume, which focuses on a person’s accomplishments;
  • the combined resume, which includes a chronology of jobs and which highlights a person’s accomplishments as they apply to those jobs;
  • and finally, the skills-based resume, which allows a person to emphasize their transferable skills acquired not only through work experience, but through school projects, volunteering, extracurricular activities and more.
The essential elements of the resume are always required: education, work experience, skills and abilities, references. These elements, however, can be strengthened to project a more proactive, marketing approach to the document.

Here are 6 new ideas to enhance your resume.

Academic Highlights describe different projects or assignments that you have completed and highlight your accomplishments. For example:

• Designed a spreadsheet to depict timelines and critical path for business proposal
    Created a model of a new home design as a team project for architectural planning
    You can mention teamwork, computerskills, research, complexity or what you learned as a result of the work.
Results-Oriented Job Descriptions focus on how you did the job and what you have accomplished as opposed to describing your basic duties. For example:

• Increased productivity in retail shop by reorganizing stock handling
  • Investigated the need for and implemented Boot Safety program
Instead of a weak description of your responsibilities at your job, try thinking in terms of how you made a difference in the workplace. You may also want to format your accomplishments beginning with a keyword, followed by a description of your activity. For example:

• TRAINING – designed and conducted workshops for 300 staff on safety process
Testimonial can replace a career objective or profile in a unique manner. Pull a sentence from one of your reference letters and quote a testimonial on your behalf.

Keyword Summary: with the introduction of scannable resumes, content has changed from verb-based to noun-based. When a computer scans a document, it searches for keywords – nouns such as diploma, sales, budget, proposal, report, etc. A summary of skills at the beginning of your resume can give the employer a quick preview of your abilities.

Targeted resumes focus your accomplishments and skills in particular directions. If you have diverse experience in sales, computer programming and golf you could develop a resume for each of these areas and then expand your search for work in different directions. Or combine your experience such as computer software sales or programming for the golf industry.

Technical Contact Information ensures that you have provided the employer with as many access points as possible. With the technical explosion of cell phones, pagers, fax machines, extensions, e-mail, voicemail, and websites, you want to be certain the employer can reach you. At the top of your resume you should clearly identify what each contact number represents.

I hope these ideas have sparked some fresh thinking for you to attack your resume with new energy. A resume is a living document that must move with the times to attract a recruiter’s eye. The resume is your best marketing piece. Make it work for you.

2006-7-20 21:48:04

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目> What do you really need to cover in a resume?

Dear WW: It’s been years since I’ve updated my resume. I recently got laid off and I need to get my resume up to date.
TIME WARP

Dear TIME,

Your letter got me thinking about my favorite episode of "All In The Family." Edith went to her high school reunion and someone asked her what she’s been up to.

The rest of the show featured cuts back to her, and the classmate who regretted asking the question, "In February of 1953, I started my job at... Then in May of that year..."

You get the point, heck, you’ve had the same conversation. The bottom line is that employers want a bottom line, not just a laundry list of job titles. So give them your greatest hits AND enough background that they can appreciate what you’ve accomplished.

Below are some questions to get you pointed in the right direction. For more, check out the "Resume Kit" by Richard Beatty (Wiley, 2000).

What key, ****standing problems have you solved?

Most companies today are on the lookout for problem solvers. Of course you need to list your job titles and areas of expertise, but make the major focus of your resume your problem solving skills. How do you do this? List the challenges that your company faced, what action you took to address it and the results. For example, "To reduce a 43% turnover rate, I implemented a retention program for key employees that included... We were able to reduce the rate to ..."

What great ideas have you implemented?

Many people are concerned about not appearing to be too egotistical so they downplay creative ideas that they’ve implemented. One word—don’t!

When have you motivated others to do a better job?

Magic Johnson and Jason Kidd are remarkable basketball players because they make everyone else on the team better when they’re on the court. As valuable as this skill is on the court, it’s even more important at work. Include concrete examples when you were able to inspire others to perform better (but be careful to not appear to be stealing credit for the work of others).

How have you saved your organization money?

Cost savings might not be as sexy as bringing in a big contract, but it has the same affect on the bottom line. Again, the more specific the example, the better your case.

How can you show that you get a**** with people?

Another aspect of being a team player is getting a**** with others. It may seem silly at first, but don’t leave out any awards that you may have won at work. And if the award is chosen by your peers, it’s even better.

Don’t get me wrong, laundry lists are great when you are doing your laundry. But in a job interview give them specific examples that will show them how you’ll be able to have a huge positive impact. Follow this rule and in no time you’ll be All In "Their" Family.

注释: ****为 l-o-n-g,不知道为什么论坛不能显示****
2006-7-20 21:48:36

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Why are key words on resumes so important?

Dear WW: I’m looking for a job as a sales associate. I have a lot of experience and I’ve sent out a lot of resumes but I’m not getting many interviews. Do you have tips on how to make your resume stand out?
OVERLOOKED

Dear OVERLOOKED,
Whenever I think of resumes, I think about a thief in Perth, Scotland. Hearing the police arrive as he was midway through his heist, the guy swallowed a handful of jewels, then sprinted to get away. Had he not been injured during the escape, his unusual meal might have gone undetected. But doctors had to x-ray him—revealing a surprising lump in his stomach. With the help of laxatives the goods were eventually recovered.

Just like that robber, many job seekers make potential employers work too hard to get to the jewels on their resume.

KEY WORDS are the key: they’re your chance to speak directly to what the employer is looking to hire. They’ll also help when a computer, rather than a person, scans your resume: computers use key words to decide which resumes move forward and which ones land in the round file. I’ve included some tips below. For more, check out "Proven Resumes" by Regina Pontow (Ten Speed, 1999).

Underline the key words in want ads.

Pick out the five to ten want ads that most interest you. Most will clearly name the skills the companies are looking for. Underline the words that match your skills. "1+ years exp. in customer service or retail field. Will take inbound calls from customers nationwide. . ." Look carefully: the average job seeker overlooks most of the important words.

Group related skills into categories.

Organize your underlined words into skill lists. For example, if you’ve underlined "build customer relationships" and "handle customer requests," group those together under a heading like "Account Administration." If you’ve underlined "typing 60+ wpm" and "answer phones," group those under "Office and Administrative Experience."

Prioritize the skills.

Decide which sets of skills are most important to the jobs being advertised. This is important because you want to hit the key skills very hard both in your resume and in subsequent interviews.

Use the top 35 words in a summary statement.

Pick the top skills from each category and use them to write a summary statement that describes your experience and qualifications for the job. Put the statement at the top of your resume. I saw a study a few years back that said the average person screening resumes spends no more than 30 seconds with each. So don’t leave anything to their imagination: put your key words right up top and make it easy for them to see how qualified you are for the job.

Use your underlined words on your resume.

Describe your experience using as many of your underlined words as possible. You’ll be giving them what they want to see.
Remember: in a job search YOU should be the one searching. Don’t make THEM search for your hidden talents.
2006-7-20 21:49:11

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Mistakes on resumé sabotage your chances

Here's the encouraging news: You have the capability to draft an outstanding and error-free resumé that can grab the attention of the astute reader. Now here's the caveat: Once your resumé lands in the hands of an employer, any mistakes living on that resumé make it almost impossible for you to repair the ensuing damage. And, if you think that you have lots of time for your resumé to make a great impression, think again. It takes only a few blinks of the employer's eye for your resumé to end up in the 'no' pile.

Take a minute now and quiz yourself on some basic but important information to know when preparing or improving your resumé:

• What is the main purpose of your resumé? (No, it's not to get the job. It is to get the interview. It also helps the flow of the interview discussion, as questions are asked based on the information you have on your resumé).

• How **** do employers spend reviewing your resumé? (Researchers are finding that a resumé may have only five to 10 seconds to grab an employer's attention and keep her reading).

• When preparing your resumé, should you think of it as a means to sell yourself effectively? (Think of your resumé as an advertisement that markets your skills and accomplishments relevant to the position. You are both the product and the sales person).
You probably know that typographical, spelling and grammatical errors rank among the top blunders people make. Contributing to the problem is unwarranted faith in computer spell checking. Computers may not be able to choose the correct their or there, or between to, too and two.
And what perturbs, worries and entertains employers is lack of careful proofreading, resulting in bloopers such as "diver's" experience (meant to say "diverse"), or "seeking a party-time position," (part-time) or - gasp - this one: "defective with teams." (Instead of "effective"). The employer is likely to wonder whether an applicant this careless now will be a smart hire.

Many professionals write on the subject of resumé blunders. Type in the words "resumé blunders" or "resumé mistakes" on an Internet search engine and tens of thousands of links to Web sites appear.

One worth visiting is the Resume Doctor site (ResumeDoctor.com). On staff is former recruiter Michael Worthington. who seems to live, eat and breathe resumés.

His company surveyed 2,500 recruiters/head-hunters in varied industries to compile a list of "likes and dislikes" about resumés.

The following are some of the employers' top pet peeves:

• too duty oriented (reads like a job description and fails to explain accomplishments);
  • dates not included, or inaccurate dates;
  • no (or inaccurate) contact information and unprofessional e-mail address (1 out of 4 resumés lack an e-mail address, yet it is a basic expectation today);
  • resumés that are too ****;
  • paragraphs as opposed to bullet-points;
  • candidates who apply to positions for which they are not qualified;
  • irrelevant personal information;
  • lying, misleading information offered (re: education, dates, titles);
  • meaningless objectives or introductions;
  • resumés sent in .pdf, .zip files, faxed, Web page resumés, mailed resumés and those not sent as a readable attachment;
  • pictures, graphics, or URL links no recruiter will call up;
  • no easy-to-follow summary;
  • resumés written in either first- or third-person;
  • gaps in employment;
  • burying important information.
Worthington warns that "if you are falling prey to any one, or combination of [these] resumé errors, then you are fighting an uphill battle."

Did anything on the list surprise you? For example, leaving off an objective, which is a traditional resumé component, may be an unsettling concept for candidates as well as for career experts.

Resume Doctor's research reveals that objectives limit the opportunities for the candidate and they are frustrating for the employer who may want your skills but is unable to place you in the position you targeted. (Resumés for internships and co-op placements obviously work well with objectives.)

In lieu of an objective, Worthington suggests writing a "headline" just under your contact information that says who you are and what you do. Much like a newspaper headline, it succinctly tells the story and focuses the reader. It also shouts out what you have to offer an employer.

He suggests that you pretend you are sitting at a bus stop and the person next to you asks what you do. Think about what distinguishes you from others and what will garner attention. Do you get an image of the person from each of the following headlines?

• "Experienced Paralegal with extensive knowledge in medical malpractice litigation."
  • "Award-winning senior sales manager with fifteen years of experience in retail and merchandising."
  • "Multi-lingual geriatric nurse with experience in cardiology/critical care."
  • "Human resources professional with knowledge of and experience in post-secondary education sector."
To strengthen this approach, follow the headline with a point-form skills summary or profile targeted to the position, and you will have made your resumé easier and more interesting to read.

And, don't forget to research the company so that customizing your resumé is genuine - and memorable - in a first-class way.
2006-7-20 21:49:44

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

再帖几张英文的简历模式,可能国内的公司会要求英文的简历

更多图片 小图 大图
组图打开中,请稍候......
2006-7-20 21:50:34

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

第二找工作(Job Searching)

<题目>Networking key to the hidden job market

Q. In one of your recent Tip of the Week items you wrote, "Between 70 per cent to 80 per cent of available jobs are actually found in what is referred to as a ''hidden job market." I am very new to Toronto, currently self-employed, but at the same time struggling and looking for a position as a sales person.

I do not know many people, therefore networking is fairly difficult. Could you please explain the hidden job market concept and how I could improve my job search?

A. You have asked a question which is at the very heart of the job-hunting process. Not understanding how to access the "hidden job market" is likely to prevent you from completing a successful job search.

Basically what is meant by "hidden job market" are all those jobs which are not advertised. They are the jobs you find through word-of-mouth. They exist because many employers prefer to hire someone who has been referred to them by someone they know, like a trusted employee or business associate.

Instead of advertising, which takes time and money, an employer can find employees referred to them who are well suited to their operation, without the bother of a formal recruitment process.

The volume of jobs found in the hidden job market ranges anywhere from 70 per cent to 80 per cent of ****ings, judging by the reading I have done.

The majority of jobs are not advertised

The exact figure is impossible to pinpoint owing to the volatility of the labour market and to the fact that some positions are actually created because an ideal job candidate just happens to appear at the right time.
The interviewer sees a match that would benefit the organization, even though an ****ing does not exist. Regardless of the percentages, researchers generally agree the majority of available job opportunities are not advertised.

So important is the hidden job market that in the United States you are not classified as "unemployed" if you are just looking for advertised vacancies.

Just reading the classified section of the paper everyday does not constitute a "specific effort" to find work. It is regarded as too passive an approach to job search. This is one of several factors which differentiate Canada and the U.S. in defining their "unemployed" population.

Learning how to build a network

Since networking is a huge part of finding unadvertised vacancies and because you claim to be new to the Greater Toronto community, you will need to learn how to build a network. Start with the people you do know or those you meet on a day-to-day basis.
How about the people you are meeting through your self-employment efforts? Make sure everyone you do know is aware that you are looking for sales work. Be as specific as you can.

For example, "I am seeking a retail sales job in the west end of Toronto, preferably in clothing, furniture and office supplies." You need to have a clear occupational goal before you start building your network.

If they have no suggestions to offer ask them if they know any one else you could talk to about your sales interest.

Gradually you will start to build a larger network of people who may connect you to an opportunity.

The art of cold-calling

In addition to network-building you will need to learn to do cold calls to employers who are not advertising. This is hard work, and especially difficult for individuals who cannot market themselves.
It takes a good degree of confidence to walk into a store or company and drop off a resumé and ask to speak to a manager about job opportunities. And it is difficult to call back later to see if anything has materialized. It is hard because you may feel you are being rejected over and over again. I say "so what!" Keep going.

If you are rejected consider it a poor match for now.

Even though it is easier to stay home and check the newspapers daily or wait until a company phones after you have submitted a resumé, this method of job search is far less effective.

The many advantages of the hidden job market

One of the advantages of tapping into the hidden job market is there will be less competition for you than if you apply to a position that is being advertised. Also, you may find work that better suits your skills and abilities because you are going after the company you want to work for.
There are many facets to learning how to succeed in the hidden job market. If you feel uncertain, then seek the help of others. Take a job-finding course offered in your community. Human Resources Development Canada continues to offer three-week workshops for the unemployed.

By joining a workshop you will immediately increase your network, gain confidence and learn more about the community in which you live.

Retail and wholesale sales offer huge numbers of job opportunities in Greater Toronto. Even during recessions, sales staff is frequently needed.

Good luck with your search.

2006-7-20 21:51:22

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Seven steps to sell yourself in the job market

Try these seven steps to prepare for job interviews and create an opportunity to successfully market a product you have been developing for years - you.

1. Know what you have to offer an employer and ensure you read the job description.

Knowing the employer's expectations will help guide your answers and the questions you ask. You can bridge your pertinent skills to the job by being prepared to discuss your related strengths, accomplishments and personal qualities, demonstrated with relevant examples. Know the skills you wish to develop and be able to relate how they will benefit both the position and yourself.

Don't overlook valuable transferable skills from, for example, teamwork and leadership experiences, or successful decision-making/problem-solving situations.

Remember, you are both the salesperson and the product you are selling.

2. Plan ahead to present a professional appearance.

When clients prepare for interviews, they often ask: "What should I wear?" Counsellors usually stress being neat, clean-smelling and erring on the side of dressing conservatively as a guideline.

But the best advice can be heard from people already working in your industry who can more realistically tell you what is most appropriate - and what is not. To gain this inside advice, learn to conduct information interviews. (Visit the University of Waterloo Web site: http://www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/infocecs/CRC and click on the Career Development Manual to learn more about the information interview technique.)

Remember, your appearance also includes body language, posture and facial expression.

3. Research the company.

It is prudent interview strategy to expect the unexpected, but minimizing surprises is equally sensible. Before your interview, ask your company contact person about the interview process and if, for example, it includes a personality, aptitude testing component, or both.

Other reasons to research a company: to become knowledgeable enough to determine if this organization "fits" you, your needs, ethics, philosophy; to become knowledgeable enough to compose good questions to ask; and to show you've done your homework.

Linda Linn suggests in her book Landing Your First Real Job, published by McGraw-Hill, that applicants know at least 10 facts about each company with which they interview. She advises, "Research things like when they were founded, what their annual sales or profits are, what the management style is, who their competitors are, how big they are, where their corporate headquarters are, etc."

Ways to research a company: view company Web pages or profiles on the Internet; obtain free copies of their public relations materials; peruse directories, trade publications and print media for mention or articles about the organization and its employees; consult relevant professional associations; and talk to people working in that company or former employees.

4. Anticipate question areas and specific questions you will probably be asked.

There are many queries that have become favourites of interviewers, such as, "Tell me about yourself," " Why should I hire you?," or "What interests you about our company?" Also, there are known areas employers explore through their questions such as problem-solving, resourcefulness and initiative.

Try this too: Immediately following each interview, jot down all the industry-related questions you were just asked. You will quickly and easily compile an important resource for yourself.

5. Rehearse your answers, but don't overdo the practice.

Prepare answers filled with examples of your achievements and skill areas relevant to the position. Anticipate the toughest questions for you. For example, if you were an early school-leaver, practice explaining why you left early and what you have accomplished since.

6. Prepare good questions to ask your interviewer based on the job description or your understanding of the position.

Develop questions that will provide more information about the job and company that you knew prior to your interview.

7. Get your references ready now.

Don't forget to ask your referees' permission before offering their names. In advance of your interview, send each referee a brief thank-you note for his or her assistance and enclose a copy of your resumé. The resumé updates their information and helps them speak more knowledgeably about you. Ask references for daytime numbers because that is probably when they will be called. Good luck on your path to employment.
2006-7-20 21:52:01

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Research? An Essential Work Strategy

• Research is effective
  • Explore occupations and specific organizations
  • Seek out hidden opportunities
  • Engage the help of your network
  • Ask for assistance from research specialists
  • Read everything you can
  • Conduct informational interviews
  • Have clear research goals

Research is effective

We all know that finding a great job is getting harder these days. The search for work is highly competitive. One way to set yourself apart from the crowd is to conduct thorough research – not only will you be equipped to target resumes, cover letters, you’ll appear much more confident and knowledgeable in interviews.

Explore occupations and specific organizations

Researching occupations that interest you and researching specific organizations to which you’re applying are important. To get a brief description of a variety of occupations, browse through the National Occupational Classification (NOC) binder in your library or career resource centre. If you want to know whether or not the field that you’re considering is growing or declining, check out labour market information on the internet or in Job Futures.

Seek out hidden opportunities

Most of the available work opportunities are never advertised. There are at least three kinds of unadvertised jobs: those created specially for you because the employer wants you on the team, those that insiders know about but nobody has gotten around to advertising, and those that are posted internally to encourage applicants from within.

Engage the help of your network

Whether you’re uncovering hidden work opportunities or trying to get insider information about a specific advertised job, you’ll need a little help from your friends! Be really clear about the kind of information that you want – then systematically ask everyone you know (e.g., professors, friends, classmates, parents, neighbours, relatives, coworkers) to help you get answers to your questions.

Ask for assistance from research specialists

Don’t overlook the expertise of librarians – they are highly trained research specialists! Other research specialists focus on labour market and career information. Check with your local chamber of commerce, federal Human Resources (HRDC) office, campus career and employment services, community-based career centres, or professional associations.

Read everything you can

There are great sources of information about most employers. If the job has been advertised, you’ve already got a place to start. Read the ad carefully for clues to the organization’s culture, values, and needs. Flip through annual reports or browse through the company’s webpage.
If a keyword search doesn’t take you directly there, try the companyname.org. Check trade journals and business sections of the newspaper as well – it’s very impressive in an interview to mention an article published several months ago, implying that you’ve been interested in the company for quite some time.

Conduct some informational interviews

Once you’ve exhausted the print and internet info available, you’ll be well-prepared for an informational interview. Perhaps you’ve got specific questions that published information didn’t answer, maybe you’ve come across contradictory information that you’d like to have clarified, or it could be that you’d just like an excuse to talk to someone inside the company to get their perspective on working there.
Use your network to get introductions and remember to generate specific questions from your print research. Remember informational interviewing is still a research activity!

Have clear research goals

In the early, exploratory stages of research, skim your sources or chat briefly with your contacts to get a feel for the industry or organization. Later, as you’re narrowing your scope, systematically use diverse resources to get more in-depth information.
Finally, as questions form in your mind or you discover gaps or inconsistencies in your findings, use experts or informational interviews to help you fully understand the occupation or organization that interests you. Research really does work!
2006-7-20 21:52:31

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Smart Marketing key to ****ing job doors

Career Monitor continues to hear from readers lamenting their lack of job or work search skills. They have the ability to do the work, they say, but not to sell themselves in the **** marketplace.

It's a difficult spot to be in. No matter how you cut it, looking for work is a marketing and sales exercise. However, it is also skill. If you're on the extroverted side of the personality scale you'll have natural abilities to call on. But even if you're not gregarious and outgoing, you can learn, practice and improve this skill.

Career Monitor has examined the self-marketing process before. From our archives, we offer the following suggestions.

You are the product.

Define clearly what you have to sell. Your skills and abilities are the basis of this marketing campaign. Until you understand what you have to sell, you can't present yourself fully.
Itemize your skills, training, personality, and experience. Examine your attitude. Write, in some detail, a personal profile. Note your strengths and weaknesses. Prepare to discuss both, and in terms of your weaknesses, how you have overcome them.

Believe in your product.

Unless you move into your marketplace believing that what you have to offer is of value, your sales pitch will falter. Build a sense of your own value by looking at your accomplishments.
Start an "accomplishment file" (It need be nothing fancier than a small notebook that you carry around with you.) Ask a friend to help you get started, to probe and ask you questions.

Talk about your life, about the work you do, about personal, school, extracurricular, and volunteer activities. Look for special events, projects, or moments that gave you a sense of achievement.

Target your marketplace.

Before you can research today's job market, you need a target, a focus to your marketing plan. Some people focus their search by occupation or profession, others target in terms of location or size of employer. Still others target a specific industry or sector and this becomes their main focus.
Carefully define the potential marketplace for your skills and abilities. Then, compile a list of employers in that marketplace. Ask a librarian in a major library or an information specialist in a career resource library to point you in the right direction. Ask about the directories available in hard copy and via the Internet. Do an Internet search. Check, as well, for municipal directories that list most companies operating in a region.

Build your list of potential employers by reading the business sections of newspapers as well as the ads. Read industry-specific magazines. Talk to people who work in your area or chosen industry.

Assess need.

Employers won't hire you because you want and need them to. They hire you once you have convinced them that you have the skills and abilities to help them solve problems or improve their bottom line.
Employers are attracted to people who seem to understand the complexities of the industry or sector, people who have a sense of how the industry is changing and the pressures reshaping it. Talk to others in your field, read articles and reports.

Work to build an understanding of the "needs" in your targeted industry. This insight will help you position yourself as someone who can meet those needs.

Prepare marketing literature.

Your resumé is your primary marketing document, give it the time and effort it deserves. On its own, it won't land you a job, but it can **** doors. Employers respond positively to resumés that are short, direct, easy to read. They want know what's in it for them, should they hire you.
When you sit down to write (or re-write) your resumé, make it "proactive." Instead of listing reams and reams of duties and responsibilities under each job, note accomplishments from your background, especially those that illustrate the skills and abilities you feel are needed in your field.

"Accomplishment" resumés take time to create. Expect to do several edits or rewrites. For guidelines look in a book store or library for resumé books that recommend this "accomplishment" style.

Plan a marketing campaign.

Once you've assessed needs in your field that you are capable of addressing, use this information to capture the employer's attention.
Say you've discovered an employer on your list that has installed a new computer system you are familiar with. Mention this early in your approach.

If you've heard that another employer has had trouble finding reliable staff, indicate your own reliability (make sure it's true, of course).

Look for a way to stand out from the crowd and become known to employers on your list. Perhaps you could volunteer some time as a method of introduction. Or you could join industry-specific associations in your community and become acquainted with others that way.

Learning to market yourself is an involved process and a single Career Monitor column won't turn you into an expert. But once you understand the various steps behind a comprehensive self marketing campaign, you can begin to design one for yourself.
2006-7-20 21:52:59

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Timing is everything when making follow-up calls

You see your dream job advertised in the newspaper, work diligently at polishing your resumé, and fax it right away to the employer. Now comes one of the hardest parts of the work search process: waiting for the phone to ring.
Every job seeker knows the stress of waiting to hear from an employer after submitting a resumé or attending an employment interview. The days and weeks that a candidate waits to hear back from a prospective employer can seem like an eternity. But you don't have to sit passively waiting for the phone to ring.

It is appropriate to play an active role in following up with employers. Knowing when and how to follow up can be a tricky process, as some applicants hold back for fear that they will appear too eager while others make a nuisance of themselves by calling employers repeatedly.

When should you contact employers after submitting a resumé? It depends on whether you are applying for an advertised position, says Reena Verma, assistant director of human resources at the Four Seasons Hotel in Toronto.

"If you are applying in direct response to an advertisement or online posting, it's appropriate to call or e-mail within two or three days to confirm that the employer received your resumé," says Verma, "but don't expect them to have already made a decision about whether or not to interview you."

Remember that employers may get 50, 100, or more, resumés in response to one ad, and need time to wade through all the responses they receive.

"Between e-mail and faxing, technical problems can interfere with your resumé being transmitted successfully to an employer," says Kristin Condon, a human resources generalist with Pizza Pizza. "I don't mind if applicants contact me to confirm that their resumé has been received."

Many employers have a policy (often stated in their advertisements) that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.

That's usually the company's polite way of discouraging applicants from repeatedly calling to find out if they will be interviewed. While you might still want to contact an employer just to verify they received your resumé, particularly if you have sent it by e-mail or fax, it's not likely to endear you to the employer if you repeatedly call for an update on whether you will be asked to come for an interview.

If you are sending an unsolicited resumé in the hope that an employer may have a position that suits you, wait about a week before following up, recommends Verma. Both Verma and Condon agree that they prefer applicants to follow up with an e-mail rather than a phone call as it is more efficient.

"Some job seekers will call me to confirm that I have received their resumé, which I don't mind, but their next question is 'Can we set up an interview?' Most employers are unable to do that unless they have a suitable job ****ing," explains Condon.

Employers just don't have the staff and resources to interview people when there isn't a job available that appears to match their qualifications.

What about following up after an employment interview? You can set the stage by asking about next steps at the end of the interview. Find out when the employer expects to make a decision, and ask if it would be alright for you to make contact if you haven't heard anything after the suggested waiting period has elapsed.

You may send a thank you letter immediately after the interview, but a phone call is also appropriate. "Either a letter or phone call gives you a chance to reinforce your interest," suggests Verma.

Some applicants who are waiting to hear about the outcome of an interview feel uncertain about what to do if the employer doesn't let them know if they have been short-listed or selected for hire. "It's certainly appropriate for an applicant to call the employer within a few days after the suggested time frame has elapsed," advises Verma.

In a few cases, applicants may find themselves waiting for a much ****er period than they anticipated, a wait that can be nerve-wracking.

There may be a couple of reasons why this happens, explains Verma. It's possible that an emergency or urgent priority has come up that has resulted in postponement of the decision.

Also, some employers may not call you as a deliberate tactic to see how much initiative you demonstrate in picking up the phone and calling them back. This is more likely to happen when the job you're applying for is a sales-oriented position where initiative is a necessary quality for successful candidates.

If the weeks drag on after your interview and you can't get a clear answer from the employer as to whether you are still being considered for the position, it's probably best to just move on, recommends Verma.

Don't let an employer's foot-dragging hinder the momentum of your work search. Keep exploring other opportunities while applying these follow-up strategies with the employers you have already contacted.

Managing the follow-up process effectively can not only help you to feel more in control of the work search process, it may lead to that coveted opportunity for an interview and-the ultimate prize-that job offer you so desire.
2006-7-20 21:53:25

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Message to underemployed: overhaul search

Last year, the Canadian economy churned out about 560,000 new jobs. Gary got one of them. At first glance, this is a good-news story. Look just below the surface, however, and you'll find a life and career in crisis.

The job Gary found was for "security work" at $7 an hour. This puts him near the poverty line, he says, with "no money for anything. I am married and have two teenagers and I'm always having to borrow from Paul to pay Peter."
Gary says he has skills and years of experience in another field, but for some reason, doesn't get interviews for career-related work.

"I've only had one in the past year, and that's a real heartbreaker," he writes. "And I have probably sent out 75 resumés, either by mail, fax, or delivered in person."

"You probably have heard this over and over again, but I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for me."

Sadly, stories like Gary's are too common these days, and they illustrate the soft underbelly of last year's positive job creation story.

Many of the jobs were not particularly secure; about 40 per cent were part-time, another 20 per cent went to the newly self-employed.

And most of the full-time jobs were in the service industry, which tends to pay less and tends not offer ****-term stability.

Gary's job, paying just over Ontario's minimum wage, proves the point.

Re-establishing yourself after job loss, especially during erratic and unpredictable times, is extremely taxing.

And for people like Gary, who have taken on a low-level job to make ends meet while continuing to search for "good" work, the task becomes even harder.

Still, looking for work is a skill, one that can be built and enhanced. Here's how to get started.

Become a labour market investigator

Research is the bedrock on which a search for employment rests, says Maralyn Tassone, executive director of the Durham Region Unemployed Help Centre in Oshawa.
Every industry and every sector has restructured to some degree during the past decade and until you understand what the changes mean to you and your own career path it's hard to make intelligent choices.

"You have to discover what's happening with the labour market in your own field," Tassone says.

"You need to find out if your particular type of employment is still viable. If there are no jobs, there are no jobs. And you may have to look at related fields."

Realistically assess your current skills

In every industry and sector, advancing technology has upped the skills ante. Have you kept pace with this? Do your skills meet the industry standard? Do you have the interpersonal skills that employers look for?
Evaluate your resumé, your calling card. There's a general rule of thumb regarding resumés, says Tassone.

"If you've sent yours out 50 times and you're not hearing back, it's time to review your resumé. Take it to people in your field, and ask for feedback," she suggests.

"Be clear that you're not asking for employment, but for a review of your resumé to see how it could be changed to make it more effective."

Resumé problems are often a matter of focus, according to Neil Baldwin, a career counsellor at Seneca College in Oakville.

"Too often, people don't take time to focus their resumé to the employer's needs. Instead, they list all their great skills and experience and send them a**** to employers, basically saying, 'Here's my life, you figure out what's relevant'."

Employers have neither the time nor the inclination to do this, Baldwin says.

A resumé has to be persuasive and clearly state how your background is directly relevant to the position or opportunity in question.

Be visible and stay current in your field

Networking and intelligence-gathering is essential to career growth. Stay in contact with ex-colleagues and associates; attend association meetings, read industry-specific journals and publications.
If, like Gary, you're working and searching for work at the same time, remaining current and connected in your field can be extremely difficult.

"Insist on devoting at least two hours a week to your search," Tassone suggests.

"And if your work provides an opportunity to read or study, as security work sometimes does, take full advantage of it."

Define a clear focus

"If you don't know what you want or what you're aiming for, it's very difficult to stay motivated," says Neil Baldwin.
"It's like being in a bicycle race, if you don't know where the finish is you don't pedal very hard. If you know where the finish is... even if you can't see it because it's a **** way away, you know where you're going so you continue to work hard."

Knowing how to look for work creatively is a survival skill in uncertain times. If you've been looking for work for a year or more, it may be that you need to build this essential skill.
2006-7-20 21:53:52

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Keeping self-esteem vital to job search

Being out of work is a crash course in finding work. And no one knows this better than Peter MacIntosh."I have left no stone unturned," says MacIntosh. "I'm ready for every interview. I look forward to each one, rise to the challenge, come across as an energetic, powerful, assertive person. I relentlessly pursue people."

Nonetheless, at 52, MacIntosh has been looking for work for almost a year. And he has written to Career Monitor to share his formula for remaining positive during a lengthy search.

"I'm writing about this as I live it, not in retrospect. And I hope my thoughts and experiences may be of assistance to others in like circumstances."

The time between your last job and your next opportunity is a "personal employment transition," MacIntosh says. It evolves in three distinct phases.

Phase one begins with a "termination announcement" that immediately affects self-esteem. Upon hearing the "disastrous news," MacIntosh recalls, his emotions ran the gamut from "scared, angry, down in the dumps to relieved."

Why relieved? I asked, reaching him by telephone late in the day, at his home in Guelph, between two interviews.

MacIntosh explains that his sales and marketing career, built over more that 20 years in the agri-business, began to implode about a year ago when his employer merged with another firm.

"You know in your heart of hearts that some people have to go. There's no question about it. I was relieved once the decision was made and I could get on with my new life."

Getting on with a new life has its share of pitfalls, however.

It's impossible to begin, for example, until you deal with the emotional fallout. And sometimes, MacIntosh says, you simply have to reconcile yourself to the fact that you may never know the answer to the difficult and nagging question, "Why me?"

Don't attempt to carry the emotional burden alone, he advises. "Share your situation with your immediate family and loved ones, including a few very close friends."

Accept, as well, that feelings of loneliness, despondency and self-doubt are quite natural.

"Do your best to refocus your thoughts on those aspects of your life that are positive," says MacIntosh, whose activities in his church and in his children's school council sustain him. "This is how I get my self-esteem."

While your emotions are raw, don't condemn your employer for firing you, he counsels. Do reach out to others, to colleagues and friends who are also in an employment transition. "This is similar to the concept of `learning by teaching,"' he says.

A**** with thousands upon thousands of highly experienced workers, MacIntosh remains stuck in the second phase of his transition, the "search period, which is also a period of rejection," he says.

It's truly ironic, he notes, that the more aggressively you search for work, the greater the number of rejections you receive.

Personal courage is essential, as these rejections can be damaging both psychologically and physically.

"You are going to be somewhat bewildered that so many companies that you approach take no time to consider, `Here is someone worthy,"' MacIntosh says. "They really couldn't care less. But you keep going.

"It's very simple, every rejection brings you closer to success. There is no other way to look at it. You have to believe in that and practice it diligently. But it is a formidable task."

Part of the solution is to keep learning, says MacIntosh, who finds ongoing professional and personal development a true antidote for distress.He also takes care of his inner self. "It's of great help if you are able to reach out for spiritual comfort, either in a formal religious sense or through some form of meditation or contemplation."

Still ahead for MacIntosh is the final phase of the employment transition process, "re-entry into the employment market," as he calls it. And he has begun to accept that despite his best efforts, a job like the one he lost may not be available. "It is supremely difficult to come back in during these times when companies are downsizing, downsizing," he says.

Not one to be daunted, he is considering creating his own work. "Sometimes you have to reorient your future career," says MacIntosh, who may change direction entirely and go in to insurance sales or investment counselling.

"It's something that I've meditated on for quite a while," he confides. "And I'm 80 per cent inclined to commit to self-employment.The challenge there is that you have to be very disciplined and principled in terms of operating without a superstructure around you. You are responsible only to yourself."

Despite the difficulties and challenges, MacIntosh believes an employment transition is "life enriching and an important journey."

"It's 100 per cent attitude," he says. "You have to believe in yourself. You have to believe in your worthiness as a human being."
2006-7-20 21:54:26

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

<题目>Some high points to follow in job info search

Informational interviews, conducted with people working in a career of interest to you, offer both candid information and a vantage point that few career planning techniques provide. They are not like employment interviews. In an informational interview, you are not looking for a job - you are seeking information to expand your knowledge and help you to make good career decisions. You are the interviewer, the information seeker, and the one who requests, sets up and controls the flow of a meeting by constructing and asking relevant questions.

This is an exciting and enjoyable way to learn more about the many aspects of a career while you and your "expert" participate in a stress-free discussion.

Try these five steps to prepare and conduct informational interviews:

Step 1: Getting started.

Conduct your library or Internet research to gain a basic understanding of the job or industry. Then identify career professionals to interview by preparing a list of names from your existing network of family, friends, colleagues, former and current co-workers and supervisors, fellow students and teachers or professors.

If you do not know anyone personally who does the work that interests you, or anyone who can refer you to contacts, expand your list of possibilities by referrals from alumni and professional associations, governmental agencies or public speakers - people you read about or hear in talks, TV or radio programs. Or people you meet at career fairs or read in the print media, on the Internet, through community and industry publications, and even the Yellow Pages.

To add to your list, determine the places where people work in the job that interests you. Make "cold calls" to organizations (where you don't know anyone personally) where your career professionals likely work. You can even ask the switchboard operator or receptionist who would be good to talk to regarding your career interest.

Step 2: Preparing for the meeting.

To determine what questions you want to ask your career professional, think about what information you are lacking or what will be useful to know?

Initially, design your questions based on such categories as a description of the work, skills and personal qualities required, recommended credentials and places for education/training, relevant or transferable experience, labour market demands and future trends, influences on lifestyle, personal advice; and referrals to other career professionals.

Step 3: Setting up the meeting.

Possible methods include having a mutual acquaintance arrange the interview, telephoning yourself, writing a letter to set up the interview, followed by your telephone call, or arranging a meeting in person, followed by a telephone call to his or her workplace confirming arrangements.

On the telephone or in a letter, introduce yourself using your full name. Clearly state why you are making contact and requesting their assistance.

If you're using the telephone, prepare a simple script for yourself. Try something like this: "Hello, my name is . . . . I have been researching (name of job) and trying to make some important career decisions as I am new to Canada (or a graduating college student, or I am considering a mid-life career change). I heard from (so and so, or I obtained your name through the switchboard operator) that you would be a good person for me to talk to. I was hoping that I could have 20-30 minutes of your time, come to meet you and ask you a few questions."

Ask to meet at a time convenient for the career professional, preferably in the workplace so that you can observe people at work in their everyday atmosphere. When cold-calling a company, remember that if you politely ask for their assistance, even busy front-line people such as switchboard operators and receptionists can be good resources for you. They are often knowledgeable, helpful and willing to refer you to appropriate inside contacts.

If writing a letter, use proper business letter format, include your telephone number, and introduce yourself in the ****ing paragraph. Then state why your are writing and what you require from them. Close by saying you will call them (give a specific week/date) to arrange a meeting time.

Step 4: Conducting the interview.

Before the interview day, confirm the time, date and exact location of the meeting. On the appointed day, dress professionally, be punctual and keep in mind that this person is taking time to assist you, be polite, friendly and respectful of his or her time.

Ask your questions, direct the conversation with your follow-up questions and jot down the answers and your notes as the meeting progresses. Wear a wristwatch to ensure you don't overstay your requested time. Before leaving, ask for referrals to one or two other career professionals and permission to use their names. Thank the individual.

Step 5: Follow-up.

The next day, send your thank-you letter. Most importantly, review and evaluate all new information to assist in your decision-making.
2006-7-20 21:54:57

使用道具 举报

新浪微博达人勋

第三类 面试 (Interviewing)

<题目>Are you talking yourself out of a job?

Answering the top 15 interview questions. Now here's a tough question - so be honest: In interviews, do you talk yourself out of jobs?

Few would disagree interviews are rigorous. Like an intricate dance with a partner you've never met before, interview savvy is rarely instinctual. The uneasiness of being evaluated creates anxiety for candidates, as does the post-answer silences that can seem unnatural compared with the flow of ordinary conversations. It's enough to make you feel off-balance just when stability is everything.

Believe it or not, more than 2,000 recruiters and hiring managers want to help you.

Surveyed worldwide by the consulting service ResumeDoctor.com, participants from industries including IT, marketing and sales, finance and health care, revealed the questions they most frequently ask during job interviews. More importantly, they offer helpful Recruiter Tips to help you to understand the motivation behind these questions and how to approach your answers.

So, here are the 15 questions, and they are probably quite familiar to you if you have had an interview in the past few years:

• Describe your ideal job and/or boss.
  • Why are you looking for a job?/Why are you leaving your current position?
  • What unique experience or qualifications separate you from other candidates?
  • Tell me about yourself.
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses?
  • Describe some of your most important career accomplishments.
  • What are your short-term/****-term goals?
  • Describe a time when you were faced with a challenging situation and how you handled it.
  • What are your salary requirements?
  • Why are you interested in this position?/ Our company?
  • What would your former boss/colleagues say about you?
  • What are the best and worst aspects of your previous job?
  • What do you know about our company?
  • What motivates you?/ How do you motivate others?
  • Are you willing to relocate?
See? No big surprises with these questions. They probe for the essence that makes for good hires by exploring personality, and attitudinal and behavioural characteristics to determine "fit" or compatibility with the company. But now it gets tricky. What do interviewers expect to hear from you?

How much is too much - or not enough - information for you to provide? Do your responses reveal as much about you as a person as they do about your potential as an employee? And, just how good are recruiters at interpreting what it all means? Are they playing psychologist or are they more like a first date trying to quickly get to know "the real you," before possibly making the mistake of pursuing you further?

Maybe a little of both. Here is a sampling of these recruiters' favoured questions and advice - but visit the Web site http://www.ResumeDoctor.com for the full list:

Many job applicants find the queries Why are you looking for a job? Why are you leaving your current position? to be problematic if they left due to interpersonal discord or were forced out.

Here's some encouraging news from recruiters: Common acceptable reasons for leaving include: looking for a new challenge; current employer is downsizing; current employer is relocating; advancement opportunities are very limited with current employer; business is poor and the company's financial situation is looking insecure; and relocating to be with a significant other.

Common reasons that send up "red flags" are: fired from a recent position; personality conflicts with colleagues; and it is only about more money.

Recruiter Tip:

"If being fired was the reason for looking, try to avoid saying literally, 'I was fired.' Never lie, but simply state you had a 'difference of opinion' with your former employer. Luckily, many HR departments have policies regarding divulging in-depth information about a former [employee] except to confirm and deny salary history and dates of employment. If you were fired due to criminal activity, be extra careful and possibly seek the advice of an attorney."

Another question that gets job candidates wringing their hands is What are your weaknesses? Recruiters suggest being truthful and realistic - and when mentioning a weakness, be sure to include ways you hope to improve it.

Recruiter Tip: "I am looking for honesty out of this question. ... It is a question that creates a dialogue between us. With dialogue, you get to know the person better. ... This is not really a make-or-break question. It is just one I like to ask because you can determine a lot about someone, i.e. if they are cocky, shy, timid, arrogant, liars, etc."

Behavioural-based interview questions such as Describe a time when you were faced with a challenging situation probe past performance as an indicator of future performance.

According to the recruiters, this question is "designed to explore the candidate's ability to work with a team, independently and to give them ... opportunity to describe their leadership skills. These types of questions usually lead the candidate to **** up a bit and talk about other attributes ... in addition to their 'hard skills'."

Recruiter Tip:

"The interview process can be dangerous territory and it is important to watch your step in discussing questions concerning personality and demeanour. ****-ended and hypothetical questions have a tendency to draw the candidate out and be extremely revealing."

It is worth saying again that preparing for all interviews is crucial when competing for work in today's market. Determining the motivation behind the question is as important as anticipating it. As you enter your next interview, consider that this is your opportunity to distinguish yourself from the other candidates.

So, focus on your strengths, demonstrate your confidence by speaking realistically about yourself in neither timid nor overblown ways and believe in your answers - so they ring true and clear. Now, that's talking yourself into a job!

2006-7-20 21:55:22

使用道具 举报

12下一页
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册 新浪微博登陆

本版积分规则

返回顶部